Since it is fall everywhere but where we live (Arizona) I thought I would entertain the fall dishes that are my favorites. Nothing speaks of fall better than apple cider, apple doughnuts, apple pie, banana bread, maple nut buns; they're just FULL of fall flavors and yumminess. This recipe is adapted from Eating Well.
Lighter Apple Crisp.
- 5 medium-large crisp, tart apples, such as McIntosh, Empire, Granny Smith or Cortland, peeled and thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar or Splenda Granular
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh apple cider
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts or walnuts or pecans